If I had to make a list of my husband’s top ten favorite things in the entire universe, two spots would be occupied by “sandwiches” and “dipping stuff.” So when those worlds have an opportunity to collide, it’s a very special thing for him.
First, make the perfect slow cooker roast and don’t forget to collect the juice for dipping!
Next, sautée onions and red peppers with a little S&P, throw them on the sandwich (I prefer a nice crusty French bread), and Voila! Watch your husband become putty in your hands. It’s scientifically proven – right after his first bite of this baby is the perfect time to get a commitment on painting the bathroom.
- 4 lb rump roast or boneless chuck roast
- 2½ cups water
- ¾ cups soy sauce
- ½ tsp thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 hoagies or 2 loaves of French bread, sliced and lightly toasted
- Optional: provolone cheese slices
- Place roast in large slow cooker. I used a 6-quart cooker.
- In a 4 cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, thyme, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on high setting for 4 hours, rotating every hour on the hour until internal temperature reaches 156°. (The rotating probably isn't necessary, but if the roast is large, it helps to cook all sides evenly.)
- Remove roast from slow cooker and allow to rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board.
- Remove the bay leaves and peppercorns, reserving the broth for dipping.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the sliced pepper and onion with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a preheated grill pan and cook until crisp tender, 5-6 minutes on medium high. Set aside.
- Cut roast into thin slices.
- Prepare hoagies or French bread and layer with meat, pepper and onion. Add a slice of cheese if desired.
- Serve with a ramekin of Au Jus for dipping.