Can you think of anything better than a crunchy piece of delicious fish? Besides hitting the Powerball. And shirtless Channing Tatum. Okay, okay, there are better things, but not many. And this parmesan and panko-crusted Swai ranks right up there toward the top.
The idea for this recipe actually came from a fabulous chicken recipe that combined parmesan and breadcrumbs, so I figured the same laws of deliciousness would apply to fish. I chose Swai mainly because it was on sale – a force that dictates most of my decisions – and because it’s a mild tasting fish, which I tend to prefer.
This recipe is not only delicious, but it’s deliciously simple, too. Prepare your breading (I used Panko bread crumbs, flour, and freshly-grated parmesan). Mix the egg and milk and pour into a shallow baking dish.
Cut the fillets into manageable pieces and then set up your assembly line for dredging.
Coat the Swai in the egg and milk mixture, and the roll in around in the breadcrumb mix.
Coat all the pieces and set aside. Next, heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a large, non-stick skillet. Add the Swai fillets and cook on medium to medium high heat for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. (I only cooked a few at a time because I didn’t want to crowd the pan.)
Flip fillets and continue to cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan. Add oil as needed.
Serve with fresh vegetables or – better yet – check out this recipe for my pineapple salsa. Yum!
- 3 Swai fillets
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup flour
- 1¼ cups freshly grated Parmesan (This must be freshly grated.)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 3-4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry Swai fillets.
- Prepare breading.
- Combine Panko bread crumbs, flour, and freshly grated Parmesan in a bowl or large plastic bag. (Use fresh Parmesan for best results)
- Mix together your egg and milk until well-combined. Pour this into a shallow baking dish.
- Cut your Swai fillets into more manageable pieces and set up an assembly line for the dredging.
- Coat your Swai pieces in the egg and milk mixture, dip in Panko, Parmesan, and flour mixture.
- Heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil in a large, non-stick skillet.
- Add the Swai fillets and cook on medium to medium high heat for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip fillets and continue to cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan. Add oil as needed.