Hummingbirds are endlessly entertaining to watch. They are amazing little creatures. Those little wings beat up to 50 times per second! The wings move so fast, in fact, they’ll create a little buzzing sound if you’re listening carefully. Here’s a recipe for the DIY Hummingbird Food I use to fill my feeder, it’s also so important to KEEP YOUR FEEDER CLEAN! Read this article for more information on why hygiene is critical to keep hummingbirds safe and coming back to your home.
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups sugar, generic is fine
- Place water in large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Return to a boil and continue boiling, uncovered for 6 minutes. You may have to reduce heat to prevent the mixture from boiling over.
- After 6 minutes, remove pot from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Fill feeders half full and clean once a week to prevent buildup.