This is the time of year our cherry tree would be bearing full fruit. We’d pick for hours until our arms were tired and necks were stiff. And then a local man would come pick what was left for making wine – of course, he’d leave a few bottles as a thank you.
Yep. That was the routine, until Mother Nature decided to snuff out our generous little cherry tree with a bolt of lightening. She giveth and she taketh away, I suppose. Needless to say, I’m really missing our tree this year, and I’m Canned Cherries City on this recipe for awhile.
This is one of those desserts you throw together when you need a dessert pronto. It’s even quicker if you use a pre-made graham cracker crust, instead of making your own. This “cheesecake” consists of cream cheese and sugar whipped together with Cool Whip and vanilla. Spoon it on the crust, top it with cherry pie filling, and refrigerate. It’s really that easy. And, like revenge, it’s best served cold.
- Crust: (or you can use pre-made)
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 pkg. of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (8-oz), softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 container Cool Whip (12 oz)
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- Cherry Pie filling - used canned or make your own!
- Directions for Crust
- Preheat oven to 375°. Crush about 1 sleeve of graham crackers in a quart-size freezer bag, using a rolling pin. Measure out one cup of crumbs and combine with the 3 tbsp of sugar in a medium bowl.
- Pour in the melted butter and mix until combined. Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 8″-9″ pie plate. Bake in 375° oven for 5-6 minutes or until set, but not brown. Cool completely.
- Directions for the Filling:
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with sugar until well blended. On low speed, add the Cool Whip and vanilla. Spoon cheesecake mixture into prepared crust and top with ¾ cup cherry pie filling. Cover lightly with Saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve chilled.